MENZSHED NZ Status: Member
Chairman: John Wilmshurst, 03 5224616 Secretary: Roger Bowman, 027 8822448
Postal Address: 4960 Motueka Valley Hwy, RD 2 Wakefield 7096
Shed Address: Tapawera Domain Reserve, Entrance beside #14 Matai Cres, Tapawera
Open: Saturdays from 10am.
Our society was established late 2012. Our shed is the former Tapawera Scout Den (which we purchased in 2014), situated on the Tapawera Domain Reserve.
The shed is within walking distance of homes in the village and centrally located amongst the surrounding rural valleys. We have acquired a selection of tools and woodworking gear as well as grinders and a chainsaw sharpener. We share the shed for community activities – it is used for displays at the Tapawera Show and used as a base for Search and Rescue training.
Activities since 2013 include:
- visits to local members’ sheds
- supervising car parking at Tapawera Show and Tapawera Christmas Fair
- catering for a lunch for workers erecting a WW1 army regimental emblem on the hillside above Tapawera
- memorial stones and crosses for unmarked graves at St George’s church, Motupiko
- erecting the carving of a Maori themed gateway at the community centre
- at Tapawera Area School a friendship/memorial bench seat and a workbench for the new entrant children
- constructing a long table and bench seating (winter 2016) from mill slab.